Sunday, November 8, 2015

Africa

I really liked the pictures taken by Nick Brandt because it inspire m to care more about the nature and wild life. The pictures of the lions made me thought of how animals suffer sometimes without food or water of because of the weather. Some of the animals he took picture of look really normal and ok in the environment that they are living in.


This is not exactly one of my favorite pictures because one of the elephants is suffering but that's exactly why I have chosen this picture because animals are suffering or sometimes killed by humans and little by little they are disappearing from our world.

The rule that this picture is fallowing is the rule of simplicity because pretty much everything behind the elephants is cloudy so you can only see the elephants.

The type of camera lens that he used was Pentax 6511 with only two fixed lenses.  This is important because it makes the pictures look more dramatic.

When he was directing a music video called "Earth Song" for Jackson in Tanzania he fell in love with the animals and land of east Africa.

The reason Brandt wants to take pictures of these landscapes and animals is because he wants to capture every moment in the wildlife he can before the land is destroyed by man.



You were previously a director of music videos (including for Michael Jackson; Earth Song was what brought you to Africa in the first place). How much crossover of skills and creative vision is there between stills and video? Was it easy to make the jump?
It was easy to make the jump practically and financially, as I was fortunately cushioned by continuing to direct commercials for 2-3 years (although I was very disdainful of them). Creatively, it must have helped, yes, as I had spent my adult life working with film and image. It was also easy to make the jump because as a photographer, I felt so liberated not being answerable to anyone, being able to photograph what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. Filmmaking is fraught with endless frustration and compromise in a way that photography is not. Or at least, with the exception of the bad printing of the first two books, that is what I have been lucky to experience.










No comments:

Post a Comment